Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Not a midlife crisis!

reblogged from i-thorts' i-Politics

Not A
Mid-life
Crisis

The world has become obsessed with age. Too young, too old, almost past it!

But who says that age is so important? And why?

What's the right age to start having sex? And when is it too old to want it? And how come you can never get enough between the two points?

Have we become obsessed by youth? Look around and tell me the average age of the Ad-Girls and -Boys. Or their models. Where are the older representatives?

No one wants to see where they're going, only where they've been. That's the thing.


I'm as bad as all the others. (Are you?) When I was young-er, I was quite vane. My hair teeth and complexion were all more important to me than anything. Smart suits, good shoes, impressive ties, sensible hair. That's who I was: Mr GQ. A god in a silk shirt.

Even my politics had a brand: true-blue Conservatism. (I aspired to be The New Statesman -the right honourable Alan B'stard MP -played by Rik Mayall.) My arrogance didn't quite reach the levels that Rik's alta ego reached, but I came close.
 

.: New Statesman title card :.
by @ 
Wikipedia.

However, life has a way of kicking you in the pants when you get too arrogant. And so it knocked me on my ass and out of my GQ phase.

I grew my hair long, sported an unkempt beard and lost all my self confidence. And as a result went looking for God. (And me being me, I didn't just find one, I found several.)

I'm compulsive and obsessive by nature and add that to a search for spirituality, and naturally I had to take it too far. My search put me on a path to the church -I wanted to serve the big G. I took courses at a local Methodist college on Pastoral Care and Islam and fell-out with the Christian faith.

I turned to Judaism, considered Islam and finally fell for Paganism. (Only because the latter didn't restrict my growing compulsion for anarchy.)

The arrogance of youth has been tempered by age but not fully extinguished. My arrogance these days connect to speaking my mind and looking how I please.


Over the past two years my hair has been all the colours of the colours of the rainbow and a few others: I was Goth with half-black and half-white. I hit emo with spiked pastel and vibrant hues. And finally, went retro with a punk half-Mohawk (which I currently sport), that changes colour once a month.

I do like to grab attention! Lol !!

Then, the other day someone asked me if I was having a mid-life crisis. I'm not having a mid-life anything! (I don't class almost 47 as mid-life.) Inside I’m still 18.

After I expounded how wrong she was, she walked awake nodding and muttering, "Thought as much!"

I don't care what anyone says, I'm not having a mid-life crisis. Inside I'm still young, arrogant and vane!

14 comments:

  1. Yes we obsessed with age. Part of it is, we are always aging. From the moment we take our first breath we are on the way to death. Okay this is starting to be a debbie downer response. I might be able to make a funny post out what I just said. Found you on Bloggers told you I would comment. Check out mine please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca did. If this gave you something to blog about let me know and I'll come over and have a laugh. Thanks for the positive comment.

      Regard Ray

      Delete
  2. Some people are very simple minded, So many forget that no matter how old you are... there is always the kid inside you!

    Live on being young, happy and awesome! thats the way to a epic life! 8D

    Furita


    chichi-pompous.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to be awesome Furita, lol.

      Thanks for that

      Regard Ray

      Delete
  3. wow I thought this was very thought provoking I am not sure where all these rules came but I do believe that as a collectied we keep them here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Premar16, we impose rules on ourselves, then wonder why we can't abide by them. It's a act of life that we never can.

      Regard Ray

      Delete
  4. Yeah... I know what you mean. I'm 38 and still feel like I'm 16 inside. I love your blog! Like Premar16 said... its very thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, the secret to a happy life is to allow the 16-year-old in you out now and again. Or often - depending on how happy you want to be.

      Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot.
      Regard Ray

      Delete
  5. Most true, World is obsessed with age, but you know what? It all depends on our thoughts only... Age is never a barrier for starting something new... I'm 16 but started to learn a lot of computer language classes like C++, C#, JAVA etc. but I'm getting them all! And yes your post inspired me alot... Keep it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a smart reply from someone so young! You do right learning as much about computer programming as possible. It's the future.

      Kind Regards Ray

      Delete
  6. Really very nice blog u created, looks good to me..

    Now just check and comment awaiting...

    http://spiritualsuperpower.blogspot.in/2012/08/master-worship-infinitely-beneficial.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been to your blog. Enjoyed the post about meditation. Left you a comment and a rating. Thanks for dropping by; call back again.

      Regards Ray

      Delete

  7. this post is very interesting and easy to read .... I hope to visit again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do call again ;-)

    Thanks for your kind remarks

    Regards Ray

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment, I'll leave proper reply soon. Thanks again CybaPunk65 for WAP

Subscribe Now

BuzzBoost:. The Writing's On The Wall